I’m learning a lot about the Amish as I research my latest book. What are some of the most interesting things?
1. The Wisconsin Amish are very conservative Old Order. Rumpspringa isn’t wild here as it is back east. Rumpspringa mostly means the time when courting is done. Some Amish moved to Wisconsin because of this.
2. That Amish only have faceless dolls is a myth. That rumor somehow got started and now the English associate faceless dolls with Amish. They have sold many of the dolls because of this. In their homes, though, you may well see a doll with a face.
3. At least in Wisconsin, the Amish women and children don’t wear shoes in the summer to lessen the wear and tear on their shoes. What a way to be frugal. I’ve seen barefoot women in the grocery store.
4. They love to laugh. While they may appear to be rather subdued and stoic, they love to have fun, just like anyone else. They fish, skate, and play volleyball, among other things. I was a little shocked the first time one of them told me they were hoping for a snow day!!
5. And they are friendly to outsiders (English). Just don’t get too close.